When you live in an area that is subject to season changes you have to be proactive in order to maintain your residential and commercial property both during the summer and the winter. Who doesn’t love the snow? It’s beautiful and lots of fun, but, there are some downsides. We’ve assembled some helpful preventive measures to prevent problems from occurring and to avoid damage to your parking lot or driveway.
- Power wash the concrete to make sure it’s clean before the snow comes. Remove any leaves, sticks, rocks and oil as they will get buried under the layers of snow and ice causing damage and promote deterioration.
- Look for any cracks or chips and get them sealed by an experienced contractor before the first snow. Left unattended, cracks will worsen over the winter and the thawing snow will leak into the cracks. When it refreezes it will make the cracks bigger.
- Check for any drainage issues, because if you allow pools of water sit in your driveway, as the concrete is porous it will seep into it and cause serious issues during the winter months.
- Check your shovels and snow blowers for wear and tear; if they are chipped or damaged they can damage your driveway or parking lot. Now’s the time to have your snow blower tuned up.
- When the snow begins, clear your driveway as quickly as possible. Keeping the concrete free of ice, snow, and chemicals helps protect it from damage.
- Choose calcium-based ice melting and snow removal products as they do little to no damage to the driveway or parking lot.
Plowing and shoveling is a necessary evil during the winter months, but don’t undo the care and maintenance you undertook previously, read our previous blog How Plowing Affects Your Driveway.
Is your house or business on the market? Read Why Repairing A Driveway Is Worthwhile Before Selling Your Home or Business
Call today for a Free Estimate 1-844-SEALCOAT We look forward to answering all of your questions and earning your business..
Residential and Commercial Asphalt Paving Repairs,
Sealcoating, Maintenance & Pavement Marking Services
Serving the Flemington NJ,
Hunterdon, Somerset, Mercer, Bucks Counties, PA & Surrounding areas.
NJ HIC # 13VH07859900 – PA HIC # PA106692